Sunday, April 27, 2008

5 things you may or may not know about me.

Believe it or not but I have been thinking about what I could write about myself for a while and this is what I have come up with.

1-I love to throw things away!  That exhilarating feeling that things are being cleaned out and less things are going back into storage gets me all excited.  Just ask Dave, when we have a ward DI drive I make him go through his things to find something to give away.  Don't tell him but sometimes I go through his stuff without telling him.  I guess I should feel bad, but he hasn't noticed anything missing yet! 

2-I have a lack of sentimentality-   Probably from my love of throwing things away I don't have a lot of sentimental things.  There are things that I keep just for the principle of keeping things that someone might think is important someday, but most the time I will throw it out. I hate to say it but I have inadvertantly forced this onto my kids.   Most kids have a special toy or blanky that they can't do without and brings them comfort but,  I never nurtured this in my kids.  Mckenna and I differ in this belief, when I begin my DI rampage, she cries about how much she loves each and every unplayed-with toy. My mother-in-law can attest to this.  This last Christmas season, I was helping her clear out her Christmas stuff, and I would  pull something out of the many boxes and say what about this (with a screwed up face) and she would begin to tell me who gave this to her and when, etc.  I didn't understand most of her sentimentality (she has a lot) and therefore convinced her to throw away more of the outdated stuff but alas some went back.  Is this a bad thing?

3-I love cold water, but I do not like ice in my water.  I feel like it inhibits me from taking a big gulp.  I have to sift the water through my teeth while trying to hold back the ice.  Of course you can only do this so long before your teeth are freezing.  Yeah, hate it!  Although, I will accept ice in my cup if I can have a straw!

4-I love to read young adult fiction books.  You know those stories that are not reality and mostly involve some sort of magical powers; vampires, talking bears, powers, flying abilities, etc.  I love to lose myself in an adventure that doesn't resemble real life, but can keep me going back for more.  Just recently I met a fellow YA Fic reader and we had a lovely time discussing all the same books we have read.  To be honest this is a little embarassing because, I guess I should be into more adult books, but I just can't seem to get into those real life, documentary, doctrinal books.  Her are some recommendations.   Midnighters by Westerfeld, Twilight Series-Mayer, East-forgot the author, The Great and the Terrible-The brothers-can't remember the author-this is not a YA FIC.  If you read this series of 4 let me know what you thought.  

5-  I don't understand the magic of Disneyland.  I have had this discussion with a couple of people all have which disagreed vehemently with my synopsis of the place where all your dreams come true.  I just don't understand what is so great about it, it is a little kids place, right?  My mother-in-law loves to go as many times as she can-and she doesn't even take kids. Actually she is going this next month.  She told me that it bothers her to see parents getting mad at their kids at Disneyland, because it is the happiest place on earth and it is wrong to do that.  Dave said that the next time he goes with his mom and our kids he will be sure to get mad at them.  From this you can conclude that Dave and I agree on this point.  I do agree that the next time I go I am going to budget a good amount of money and not come home till it is gone.  I am guessing that part of the magic is being able to experience the atmosphere.  The food, the shops, etc.  Every time I go I have to act like a prune and not buy anything in the park and be sure to take my own food.  This mentality comes (I think) from how I grew up, those of my siblings reading this, you know what I am talking about.   Anyway,  if you think otherwise about Disneyland or even the same as me let me know.

Well if you knew these things about me then I guess you can call me an open book. 

14 comments:

Amy said...

I didn't know about 1 - 3 so good job!! I on the other hand love ice in my water and have a hard time living without and I love Disneyland (especially in the mornings and on stormy days).

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, I just read the quote from McKenna and can not stop laughing!! She is soooo funny!! Glad to know she is listening to you!

DB said...

You can't graciously decline! But at least you posted something new, so I'll let it slide!

DB said...

I really didn't know all this stuff about you - what a surprise. Where did you get your antics about keeping junk? Maybe I should pick it up. I have shoebox where I keep the treasures I owned when I was 9 (.22 bullets, awards from the science fair, the little baby dinosaur from that one show they put into a happy meal...) Whitney tries to get me to throw it away too, but I just can't part with it. I think I keep it just so she'll express concern over it!

Disneyland is great - at $20 a pass. $60 or whatever it goes for plus parking is too much. California Adventure at least has the rides.

Sorry to hear about the ice - I see your point, but I still love it! Maybe it's being in countries without any?

Sally Barrington said...

Alissa- I never new how much alike we are in ways. I Love to throw things away. I go through our house almost every week and just throw stuff away! I'm not way sentimental I do like some things like my wedding dress, my framed blessing dress, and an oil pianting my great Aunt painted for me. But for the most part I'm good to let go. I HATE ice in my water. Only with a straw and even then I could do without. Now I've never been to Disneyland ( the 2 times I've been there) and not gotten anything and had to bring in my own food but I'm with you that sounds Lame. Do it up you'll love it.
I remember when Shawn went to Disneyland with my family and I right after we got engaged. At first he couldn't believe we were waisting our money on chirros, ice cream, food, and hats/clothes. But after a while he got into it and loved it. Really it's the only way to do it in my opinin. But I don't know any differant.

Sally Barrington said...

Sorry I forgot about the books! Me too! I would love to talk to you about the ones we've read and learn about new ones!

Whitney said...

I'm laughing out loud because while I was reading your post I was thinking of Dustin's special shoebox where he keeps THE most random stuff (I'll try not to call it junk) and wondering how you guys are related. I'm glad he made a comment about it first so everyone will believe me. He is the king of sentimental attachment to physical objects. I don't understand it at all because I'm exactly like you- I love to throw things out and I don't like to collect things- no matter how "sentimental". I don't understand the Disneyland thing either. When I was younger we used to go in the winter time on a weekday and never had to wait in long lines. Tickets were more affordable and everything was so much more simple. The characters were actually walking all around the park and it really did feel like the happiest place on earth. Now everytime I go I wonder why I just spent all that money to battle my way through crowds, pay ten bucks for a hamburger and go on lame rides that have been completely revamped to be more "current" (i.e. the old submarine ride has been turned into Finding Nemo, etc.) I might have to boycott the happiest place on earth...or at least wait til Cade's old enough to pay for his own ticket before I go back. Yeah we'll probably cave before then...

DB said...

Thanks Whit, it really isn't junk. It's little snippetts of my childhood that I don't want to forget...

Shanell said...

Wow i am around alot and didnt know some of those. i did know the disneyland thing and i agree what is the big deal i am just as content going to lagoon as i am disneyland! you go girl

Amy said...

Disneyland is 10 time better than lagoon! You just don't know what your missing, or when to go. Get there early and in bad weather. You can't go wrong!

RBS said...

I love Disneyland and that is all I can say!Disneyland can't be explained it must be felt with your heart!

Anonymous said...

Alissa, I agree with Roxanne about Disneyland. The magic is something you feel, it can't be explained!! You need to go with me...Until then, we'll just keep laughing at the funny things McKenna and Josh say....they are so cute.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara H. said...

O.k. I deleted my last post because I noticed some spelling errors in it, so embarrassing. Anywho, here is my comment again.
I loved reading your blog and I loved reading about you. I agree with you on the awesome feeling you get when you dejunk. However, I am like Kenna and keep stuff for sentimental value. I try to keep it to a minimum.
I like ice water, but I like plain water too. I love Disneyland, not as much as some. But I have such great memories there from when I was younger. I am sure that is a big part of the magic for me.
Hope everything is great.
Love and miss you,
Tara