Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'm a big boy now!. . . . Well maybe

Joshua experienced a monumental situation today! He not only tried on his first pair of big boy underpants but he also dropped his first adult doodie in the porcelain pot! I caught him today grunting and hiding, so I did what any good toilet training minded mommy would do I grabbed the kid plopped him on the toilet and told him to push. He did not think this was a good idea and immediately squirmed to get off! I held on for a couple minutes and seeing nothing in sight, introduced him to his car underpants. He liked them and for the next couple of hours I spent asking him every 10 minutes if he needed to go potty? He would of course say no, and I would occasionally put him on to see if he would do anything. Well this routine got old for me, so I got a little preoccupied with a project. All of the sudden I realized Josh was nowhere to be found, so I raced to find him, knowing that if he was hiding he was trying something. Sure enough there he was grunting and squatting in the play room, so once again I grabbed him and we ran to the toilet, and would you know it the doodie was coming out, and he was terrified! He was screaming and squirming and I held him in a hug (while he sat) and I told him how proud I was of him and that is was okay. When he continued to scream I began bribing him with treats and snacks of all kind. After 5 minutes he dumped his little log, and the excitement from me was all over the place. Little did I know that he had more coming, soon enough the screaming started again. After talking to his dad at work Joshy got up the courage to let another couple logs drop. Yeah! Though this experience has shown me that he may not yet be ready for full blown big-boyhood, he is on his way. The day ended with Josh wetting his underpants and having an early bath. But thumbs up to Josh for giving it a go. From a loving, tired of changing diapers, mommy! Ps: don't feed your kid corn when it comes to potty training time!

3 comments:

DB said...

A big boy indeed! In no time you'll be an old pro at potty time. Congratulations!

Amy said...

Sounds like a good time to go on vacation and have daddy take over...

DB said...

Thank goodness that is a good ways away for me!