Saturday, January 26, 2008

What to do when the questions come!

So, I pose this question to all of you, with or without kids, in hopes of some good advice. As a parent I have asked myself, usually during the event, what I would say to my child when asked certain questions about life. Some of these questions include the following: 1-How do babies come out? 2-How did Jesus make the world! 3-How do you know it is October? 4-Where does Jesus live? 5- Why are some kids mean to me? and 6-How do you know it is tomorrow? Is it just me or do kids tend to ask the questions that we don't quite know how to explain? Each time one of these questions come up I stutter, hem and ha, and end up feeling like an idiot, because I don't know how to explain in terms that they would understand or in a way that would appease their curious minds. For example, while we were in California, Mckenna asked me "why are there crows in this world," and I said because Jesus put them here, she asked "why?" and I said maybe he thought they were beautiful. She responded, "well I don't." I said, well when you make your world you don't have to put them in. She thought about that for a minute and asked "when will I make my own world" so I told her if she was good, obedient, and followed Jesus, she would go back to live with him and become a queen and then she could make her own world.
Since I have been home she has asked many questions about making her world. She even asked me how Jesus made this world, and I have to say I didn't know what to say. I guess I could of gone into the combining of the elements and all that, but even then I don't know. Unfortunately, I have resorted to answers like: I don't know, because it just is, or changing the topic all together.
On the other hand you just don't know what kids are going to pick up on. For example, if you were to get into a conversation with Mckenna about having a body, she would tell you that she chose Jesus' plan and not Satan's, and that all of us in this world chose Jesus because we have bodies. I am proud to say that she and I have had many discussions about what that means and she even deduced that not everyone knows that we chose Jesus' plan because they are not always making good choices. I think the hardest part is the anticipation of more questions that I don't know the answers to upon the answering of the current question. At this stage in her life she is very interested in our pre-mortal life, and I am sorry to say that I don't always know what to say. Kind of disheartening, don't you think?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I just have to say you have one smart cookie. An idea for a Family Home Evening could be from the Gospel Principles book (see chapter 2). She will most likely have more questions, but this could help.

I will keep thinking.

DB said...

Cade asks us many questions throughout the day, so we understand completely - although his conundrums are more along the lines of "Where is my milk" and "Why won't you change my diaper"? We usually answer these in one word sentances to avoid the inevitable follow up question "Why?". So, to help you out, weve put together a list of short answers that you can use to answer McKenna:

1- How do babies come out?
Head First.

2-How did Jesus make the world? With His Hands.

3-How do you know it is October?
It's my Birthday.

4-Where does Jesus live?
Heaven.

5- Why are some kids mean to me? Who--I'll beat them up?!

6-How do you know it is tomorrow?
My gut.

There you go. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. D&W--FANTASTIC POST!!!!

wadsquad said...

Thanks for all the fabulous advice. Why didn't I think of that? Ha Ha Thanks guys!

Amy said...

What about when McKenna stops talking to you because she doesn't like your answer but she says "I am not mad at you I am just mad at myself!"