Monday, February 4, 2008

A hard days work!. . . .and we're not done yet!

As we begin our journey into living on our own, again! We re-realize how stressful the move can be. For those who don't know, we have been blessed with the opportunity to be caretakers of Grandma-Great Wadley's home here in Pleasant Grove. She has also graciously allowed us the opportunity to do a little painting and fixing up. We have decided to do this work before we move in, so we only have to clean the dust up once. Here are the pictures of the house before we started stripping the wallpaper.






As you can see we are working on the cabinets and the walls in the kitchen and the breakfast nook. We had to peel 4 layer of wallpaper and wipe off the glue. The walls are plastar so we had to be careful not to scuff up the walls. This is what it looked like. As you can see the ceiling has some water damage. That made it a hard to get the paper off too. It only took us 14 hours (those are just my hours) to get the paper off! Even the ceiling was papered.

Thanks to all those who helped us in our first of many arduous tasks. We are now in the process of sanding the walls, filling holes, and sanding the cabinets getting ready for paint. We are going to put beadboard on the bottom of the nook walls and on the cabinets (in the middle-there is an indention). Any paint ideas would be great. I was thinking green tinted walls in the kitchen and cream antiqued cabinents, but what color should the nook be and the beadboard? We will keep you updated as we go along. We also started moving our stuff from our storage unit over into the garage. It was so cold today that we could only take one load. I have so much crap and to think I have been paying someone to store my crap! Sheesh. Any suggestions? Bring it on!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Looks like fun!! I wish I was there to help on the project. I can honestly say that I am not sad to see that wallpaper go. I wish I had some good advice, but I think the best people to ask are D&W. They walked in my house and had it remodeled (for the better) in under 5 minutes.

wadsquad said...

What did they do?

Amy said...

They virtually knocked out the wall and put in French doors to the office, they arched doorways, painted rooms, put up pictures, built a bigger patio, relandscaped my yard. If only they could do the work and not just talk about it.

DB said...

I need a magic wand and then I could accomplish it all. You should see Amy's place when we are done with it...a masterpiece.

As for your place Liss, I think you are onto something. I had to suggest anything for fear of messing up your stellar plans. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how it turns out!

DB said...

had = hate

Shanell said...

well there is alot that i need to say! first of all i love your blog. second you need to remove all pictures of me asap!!! i never agreed to have them avaiable for all to see. that is so not cool.... anyway please do so, regarding the revious blog of josh and his poo poo all i can say is have he wear a plastic bag as soon as you wash down yonder... lol i am super excited for you to have your own place again, i love the house and that cute little nook! let me or ryan know if we can do anyting to help you. i know sometimes were busy but here is a secret were not that busy!!! i love the color ideas i can say that because i have seen them. hope you are enjoying this comment because there is a huge chance it will be awhile before i can do this again. love you all

Whitney said...

Your house is so much cuter than I had pictured in my head (not that I thought it was going to be nasty or anything). It has a great layout and tons of potential. I wish I was there to help out- I love choosing colors and all that but it sounds like you already have some great ideas! I'm so excited for you guys to have your own place again- you deserve it!

Sally Barrington said...

The demo looks like it was so hard. Sorry i didn't help I've been sick in bed for about a week now, plus I HATE taking down, 14 layers of, wall paper! I think I'm beginning to feel a little better, atleast i hope. I'll have to ask the boss if I'm aloud to leave the house or not. If I am, I'm all yours! So... give me a call if you need help with painting. I LOVE to paint!